Experience orcas and humpback whales
Norway / Tromsø / Skjervøy November – January 4 – 12
For the last 7 years from November to January, humpback whales and orcas have come into the fjords close to Tromsø to eat herring. But from last winter they changed their destination to Skjervøy, 55 nautical miles north-east of Tromsø.
Orcas are often the firsts whales to arrive. They send out some scouts to check the fjords for herring and if its enough food for the pond, the rest of the family arrives and then the humpback whales follow. The fjords around Tromsø have been a place where these two species are hunting together.
We want to share these beautiful and amazing marine mammals with you. We want to teach and share stories about their behavior, migration route, menu, communication skills and their life in the big ocean. Whales are wild and free and we know they are in the fjords of Skjervøy because of herring. This means that we can not guarantee to see them every day, as they move around, but we will do our absolute best to search for them.
1. The temptation for the whales in the Norwegian fjords are mainly herring
2. Norway is of the places in the world orcas and humpback feed together
3. You can spot the whales by their breaching – the spout, their fin, back or beautiful tail.
Information about Orca Express – We want to inform all of our guests and other whale watchers: due to technical issues, Orca Express is temporary out of service. If you have any questions about your reservation or for other requests – do not hesitate to contact us on firstname.lastname@example.orgAnniken and Floortje
ORCA EXPRESSTromsø harbour to Skjervøy - Direct route by boat
- Indoor, warm and spacious cabin
- We serve a warm meal and you can enjoy sweet cookies
- Drinks, tea and fresh brewed coffee included
- Free wifi
- 12 seats
- 360° walk-around deck – perfect for photography
- Professional skipper and educated Arctic Nature Guide with local knowledge and experience from Tromsø and Svalbard.
- All maritime safety equipment: Warm floating suits are included for all, both adults and children (7-12 years)
- Guide takes photos of the day
- We recommend you to dress up with warm clothes, gloves and a hat.
- Daily departures 8:00 – 16:00
- Pick-up at Scandic Ishavshotel. Meet early at 07:50
- 8 hours – 2,5 hours boat drive each way and about 3 hours total in Skjervøy
- November – January Min 4 – Max 12 guests
But what about…
TRAVELING WITH CHILDREN
DARK SEASON AND VISIBILITY
Be well prepared and check the weather forecast for your departure at yr.no
We do not recommend our boat tours for people suffering of back pain, problems with pelvic or pregnant women. If you have questions about your condition, please ask.