19th April to 25th April 2020
26th April to 2nd May 2020
[wp-svg-icons icon=”clock” wrap=”i”]
5 days of sledding
[wp-svg-icons icon=”accessibility” wrap=”i”]
14 guests max
(solo travellers, couples and groups all welcome)
19th APRIL – 25th APRIL 2020 – NOW TAKING BOOKINGS!
26th APRIL – 2nd MAY 2020 – FULLY BOOKED
– Become a dog musher! No previous experience required. (Minimum age 15 years, maximum age 99 years)
– 5 days of driving your own dog team and sled across the Arctic wilderness
– Accommodation in tents and Norwegian cabins
– All winter clothing, camping equipments and meals on the trail included
– Local, professional English-speaking guide
– Airport transfers to/from Tromsø (TOS) airport included
At the end of the dog sledding season in Tromsø we celebrate with our most popular and most challenging adventure – the weeklong dog sledding expeditions! We welcome 14 rookie dog mushers to our kennel where we run through the basics of driving a sled, camping in the polar cold and looking after your own team of dogs. Stay the night in our Sami style lavvus and get to know your fellow explorers over a cosy dinner around the campfire.
From here, we will drive out through the Lyngen Alps to the start location. Staff will assist you in harnessing your team and packing your sled, make sure you pack light as you will be helping your dog team on the uphills by jumping off the sled and running or scooting.
You will travel between 30km and 50km each day, with regular breaks to snack the dogs and enjoy the view of the rugged mountain terrain. At the end of each day, set up camp, feed and look after your dog team and enjoy a hot meal. If you’re extra lucky you may even get a Northern Lights display.
This is truly and unforgettable experience and the challenge of a lifetime. Meet people from all walks of life. Form friendships through shared adventure. Never forget the sound of 4 paws on snow.
Nearest airport Tromso (TOS)
Included in the price are the following:
- Transport – mini bus
- Expedition leader and guides
- Warm expedition jackets
- Winter boots
- Woollen socks (if needed)
- Tents and camping equipment including sleeping bags and insulated mat
- All meals whilst on the expedition trail
We recommend that you wear wool or down clothing. You will need thermal underclothes to wear underneath the winter outer clothing that is provided. The Arctic climate can be cold, even at this time of year, so the more active you are on the trip the better! You will also need thick mittens and a good winter hat. Sunglasses are essential, and worth investing in a good quality pair to avoid your view being spoiled by the glare of the sun on the snow.
If you are unsure about what to pack don’t worry, we are happy to chat through the kit list in more detail with you, and we will make sure you have the right gear before we leave the kennel on Day 1.
A more extensive equipment list will be sent to participants in advance.
- Dog sledding is an active experience. The sled team consists of one person on one sled with a team of 5 or 6 dogs. Alaskan huskies love to run and together with the team you will have to help the dogs and push the sled on uphill parts of the trail. Team work is essential in dog sledding.
- Because of the physical nature of this activity, we do not recommend dog sledding for people with severe physical disabilities or for pregnant women past five months. If you have additional needs and wish to discuss joining this adventure, please get in touch via email.
- Flight tickets and meals outside of those included on the trail itself are NOT included in the price.
Watch Video – Dog Sledding Expedition 2017
Polar Guide | Owner of AAT
PT is a veteran of polar expeditions. He’s been racing with dogs throughout Scandinavia as well as successfully leading a group to the Geographic North Pole. With over 30 years of experience in extreme environments, PT is an experienced, highly skilled and charismatic guy who will guide you safely through the Arctic wilderness.
If you would like more info, or make your booking please contact us:
Visit our local shop
Arctic Adventure Center
0047 908 11 320
Visit our shop and booking centre in Tromsø city. Get updates on tours, weather, info and free coffee and wifi.